Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's for breakfast?

When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.

~ * ~

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

~ * ~

I believe in kindness. Also in mischief. Also in singing, especially when singing is not necessarily prescribed.

~ * ~

For poems are not words, after all, but fires for the cold, ropes let down to the lost, something as necessary as bread in the pockets of the hungry.

~ * ~

You want to cry aloud for your mistakes. But to tell the truth the world
doesn't need any more of that sound.

~ * ~

Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.

Or who.
Mary Oliver.
Have a wild and precious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment